Monday, November 10, 2008

"It's a wonderful life...Jeanie"

















This weekend my family celebrated my mom's 50th birthday. A while back my dad was looking for party idea's for my mom's birthday. I suggested taking my mom to Springfield, MO where she was born. I thought my grandmom could share with our family about where my mom's life began. I didn't think the idea would go over very well, but it did. My dad was very receptive to the idea, & so was my grandmom. My grandparents are originally from Springfield, MO & that's where they had my mom. My dad rented a mini-van & we all loaded up in Pittsburg, KS where my grandmom is currently living. We headed over to Springfield, MO for the day. We kept calling my grandmom, our GPS. She navigated the "It's a wonderful life tour" as we referred to it. She took us to see where my granddad (who passed away 9 years ago) grew up, where she grew up, the hospital where my mom was born, the house they brought my mom home to, etc. We even went to the cemetery where my great grandparents were laid to rest. We noticed what looked like the original "Steak 'n' Shake" & my mom hollered out, "Hey, Nana use to take me to that "Steak 'n' Shake" when we all would come over to Springfield to visit her." With that being said, we stopped & had lunch there.
Later that afternoon, we headed back to Pittsburg. My mom's siblings joined us & we had a little party for her at grandmom's house. My dad took us all out to dinner at none other than Pittsburg's famous, "Chicken Annie's."
We had such a fun day, despite the miserable weather. I know my mom enjoyed it... she was smiling the entire trip.

No comments: